Yellow Nutsedge Weed Control in Southern Maryland, St Marys, Charles and Calvert Counties
LSL Lawn Care Services is your source for Yellow Nutsedge Weed Control in Southern Maryland, St Marys, Charles and Calvert Counties. Yellow Nutsedge is a common perennial weed found in many home lawns and other turfgrass areas. The color, growth habit, and rapid growth rate make it a prominent disruption in the appearance of high quality lawns. In addition to home lawns, this weed is among the most noxious weeds in the turfgrass areas of parks, industrial grounds, athletic fields, and golf courses.
Yellow nutsedge's color, texture, and growth habit contribute to a visual incompatibility with the desirable lawn turf grasses including:
- Vertical leave lengthening making them protrude above the canopy of the desirable grasses
- Make lawns unsightly during the mid to late summer period
- Flourish under warm, wet or low, damp lawn conditions during summers with above normal rainfall
- Improper mowing, nutrient deficiencies, insect damage and drought stress, reduces the density or competitive ability of the desirable turfgrasses, often lead to more yellow nutsedge populations.
Yellow nutsedge is not controlled with applications of traditional annual grass weed or broadleaf weed control products. It requires the use of very specific herbicides initiated when the weeds are young and immature to achieve satisfactory control. Eradication from lawns, although complex, can be accomplished through the following approaches:
DIY Homeowner Treatment
Regularly performed Hand pulling may be the best way to selectively eradicate the weeds by removing the entire plant and root systems when the weeds are young and immature.
Homeowner Herbicide Treatment
- Where large areas of yellow nutsedge are present, homeowners may eliminate this weed through the use of herbicides. Accurate applications of these herbicides are required
- One application followed by a repeat application made 10 to 14 days following the first
- Avoid mowing three to five days before and after treatment
- For complete absorption do not water the lawn for at least 24 to 48 hours after application
- Initiated in late spring or early summer when weed is young, actively growing, and most sensitive to herbicidal control.
- Once this weed matures, control is difficult regardless of the treatment schedule.
Professional Lawn Care Application
"Basagran" (bentazon) and "Manage" (halosulfuron) are the most effective turfgrass herbicides currently available for yellow nutsedge control but are not sold through typical retail outlets. Homeowners who wish to have either of these herbicides applied are encouraged to contact a licensed, commercial lawn applicator like L.S.L. Lawn Service. A few weeks time may be required to eliminate the present plants and repeat applications may be necessary at a later time to control germinating nutlets. These herbicides perform best when treatments are made on young, actively growing nutsedge plants.
Ask us about the other services we can provide!
Yellow Nutsedge Weed Control in Mechanicsville, Yellow Nutsedge Weed Control in Hollywood, Yellow Nutsedge Weed Control in California, Yellow Nutsedge Weed Control in Leonardtown, Yellow Nutsedge Weed Control in Lexington Park, Yellow Nutsedge Weed Control in Great Mills, Yellow Nutsedge Weed Control in Waldorf, Yellow Nutsedge Weed Control in La Plata, Yellow Nutsedge Weed Control in Hughesville, Yellow Nutsedge Weed Control in White Plains, Yellow Nutsedge Weed Control in Prince Frederick, Yellow Nutsedge Weed Control in Huntingtown, Yellow Nutsedge Weed Control in Solomons, Yellow Nutsedge Weed Control in Owings, Yellow Nutsedge Weed Control in Dunkirk.